See how OSMO Polyx-oil saves time and money
How to apply OSMO Polyx-oil:
|OSMO Polyx Oil 0.75 L
|OSMO Polyx Oil 2.5 L
|OSMO Polyx Oil 10 L
|OSMO Polyx Oil 25 L
More about OSMO Polyx-oil (the Original Hardwax Oil):
Not to be confused with traditional oil finishes, OSMO Hardwax Oil is an engineered finish made with plant oils and waxes, plus just enough highly refined mineral spirits to allow easy application. This remarkable finish offers excellent durability and renewability with a unique lustrous finish. It will never crack, blister or flake off. Instead of forming a plastic film, like polyurethane does, OSMO Hardwax Oil has open pores that "breathe." This allows any moisture that does get through to get back out again without pushing off the finish.
Because it is microporous, Hardwax Oil works well in rooms with high humidity, such as kitchens. It meets German standards for resistance to stains from wine, cola, coffee, tea, fruit juice and, of course, beer.
Spot repairs are easy. There's no need to strip the whole floor or even to remove old Hardwax Oil. For minor repairs, just scuff the damaged area with fine steel wool, coat with OSMO Liquid Wax Cleaner
and buff lightly when the cleaner is dry. If a more extensive fix is needed, use Hardwax Oil. Make repairs regularly, and the finish will last indefinitely.
This product provides no protection against ultraviolet rays from the sun, so it is not suitable for outdoor use.
Key ingredients in Hardwax Oil include sunflower, soybean and thistle oil, plus two hard, natural waxes—carnauba and candelilla. A Brazilian palm tree, Copernica cerifera, produces the carnauba in its leaves, berries and stalks. Villagers cut down fronds, dry them for several days, and then beat off the wax. The candelilla comes from the outer coating on a desert shrub, Euphorbia antisyphiliti, that grows in northern Mexico. Farmers boil the leaves and stems with water and acid to release the wax.
This is an oil-based product. Like most finishes—even water-based ones—it needs a solvent to perform properly. OSMO uses the safest one that works with oil-based finishes: benzene-free, low-odor mineral spirits. This is an aliphatic petroleum distillate, which means it is a petroleum product that has its carbon atoms arranged in open chains instead of rings. The more toxic, aromatic or ring hydrocarbons have been removed, resulting in a milder odor.
Benefits of OSMO Polyx-oil (the original hardwax oil):
Environmental benefits include:
- Made mostly from readily renewable, natural ingredients.
- Extremely durable—keeps existing flooring in good shape for decades.
- When dry, meets European safety standards for use on children's furniture and
- Toys and resistance to perspiration and saliva.
- Contains no biocides or preservatives, only aliphatic low-odor mineral spirits that meet the German standard for purity.
Practical benefits include:
Apply two coats. On each coat, 1 liter of OSMO Hardwax Oil covers 200-260 square feet depending on wood type.
How to use OSMO Polyx-oil (the original hardwax oil):
- Apply a very thin coat, using a broad metal scraper like a squeegee to spread the finish as much as possible. The cork will immediately absorb all of the finish.
- Let it dry for at least 24 hours—48 is better. Ensure good ventilation.
- Apply the second coat with a plastic foam roller. With a clean cloth, immediately wipe up any excess. On installed floors, be extra careful to make sure finish doesn't puddle along seams.
- Again let the finish dry for at least 24 hours, 48 if possible, with good ventilation.
For spot repairs:
Low-odor mineral spirits are among the safest solvents of their type. But in sufficient quantities, they can affect the central nervous system and cause serious health problems. Ensure adequate ventilation during application and while this finish dries. For additional protection, wear a well-fitting respirator with organic-vapor cartridges.
WARNING: Spontaneous Combustion Danger!
Oil-soaked materials (rags, steel wool, sanding dust, etc.) may spontaneously combust.
Immerse oil-soaked materials in water and store in an air-tight container.
WARNING: Contains Flammable Solvents!
Use only in areas with no open flames or other sources of ignition. No smoking. Provide good ventilation.
Observe all local and federal laws that pertain to the handling and storage of these types of products.
Material Safety Data Sheet